1. Taking the road, keep your pet in carrier, which is well ventilated and reliably fixed to the car seat. There are many different types of crates or carriers for pets, so whatever you choose, make sure that there is enough space for your pet to move inside it. It will be useful to get your pet used to the carrier at your home, to avoide a stress during your trip.
2. Get your pet ready for a long travel by starting to drive with it on a small distances so that it could get used to spent some time in the car.
3. You should feed your pet with a light meal as a minimum four hours before your departure. You shouldn't feed your furry friend in a moving vehicle, even if it's a long trip.
4. Never leave your pet alone in a parked automobile. On a hot day, even with the windows open, a parked vehicle can quickly become a grill, and your animal will get a heat stroke. The same is in the cold weather, if you leave your pet in the car, it could simply freeze.
5. Travelling with your animal it is necessary to take all its papers, as well as food, bowls, leash, scoop for cleaning wastes, plastic bags, wet wipes, medication (animal first aid kit), rug or a pillow, and of course its favorite toy, to make your furry friend feel comfortable.
6. If you go abroad, find out in advance, should your animal has a microchip for identification, or other way you could face a serious penalty, and problems at the border. Also crossing the border, take with you your pet's vaccination records, as some states require these documents. Please, get behind the rules allowing to travel with animals. Put on the pet a collar with a tag where your contact information will be specified.
7. Don't let your pet to ride with its head sticking out of the window. It could be injured by oncoming objects. It will be best to keep your animal in the back seat in his carrier by fixing it to a seat belt.
8. Take a water for your animal. Drinking water from other areas, unusual for pet's stomach, could lead to indigestion. It is related to the fact that each region has its own different chemical composition of the water.
9. If you often travel with a pet, you can purchase a rubberized floor liners and waterproof seat covers. It will protect your vehicle not only from the fur, but also from the other unpleasant surprises that may happen on the way. =)