Heaps of people are sure that driving on the night roads is not something difficult. Moreover, drivers are sure that it is easier to go during the night than during the day, for the simple reason that the traffic intensity at night is quite low, and the lack of a large number of cars on the road makes it possible to go safe and at a sufficiently high speed. It would seem that the reasoning are quite consecutive, but, alas, the statistics does not stand for these claims. The facts indicate that on the average, 50% of all traffic accidents happen exactly at night.
What are the main reasons that the night is a quite dangerous time for driving?
Even if you use headlights, it is very difficult in the dark to determine the distance and speed of the vehicle.
Our eyesight has a huge drawback - it incredibly slowly and lazy adopt to changing the brightness of lighting. The contraction or dilation of the pupils take quite a long time - tens of seconds. If the moving from darkness to light or vice versa occurs abruptly, it can even provoke a temporary blindness, the duration of which is 10-30 seconds. The factor of blinding should not be underestimated: generalized statistics indicate that about 12% of accidents happen in the dark time due to blinding.
The operation of alcohol on the driver's nervous system, in general, is fatal and if you combine drunkenness with the night time, we get not a good result - alcohol consumption and driving at night continue to lead in the list of causes of drivers death.
Ignorance of the dimensions of your own car can be fraught with serious consequences, if not for you, then for your car for sure. An inexperienced driver who does not yet feel the car can incorrectly calculate the movement in the dark. You need to be able to imagine the dimensions because in the dark sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the exterior contours of the car.
If a person is tired, his or her attention concentrating falls and the reaction time significantly increases. The greatest need for a dream occurs right after lunch, and also between 3:00 p.m and 7:00 a.m.
- speed mode at night should be next lower order than at the day;
- while driving at night, sometimes you need to look at the sides and check the direction of movement along the horizon;
- install a sliding curtain on the rear window, which will protect you from dazzling light of car going behind;
- do not forget to turn off the main beam from nearly 650 feet before the car that is moving on the wrong side;
- keep the headlights serviceable and clean;
- pay a special attention to the cleanliness of the windshield - if it is dirty, it will not only reduce visibility but will also dissipate the light of headlights of oncoming vehicles.
This is not all the recommendations that can be useful to you on the night road, but thanks to them you can significantly improve the quality of driving at night.